Friday, November 13, 2009

When it Rains, It Pours.

Why cant that saying hold true for the weather? It never pours here. It just rains ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. I think we've had MAYBE 7 days of sun since we've been here. I am so tired of having to drag the kids out in this weather twice a day. Today I broke out the double stroller to get Alexa to school. I'm tired of having to change her pants/shoes/socks when we get into the classroom because she went puddling jumping on the way to class (which is only about a 200 meter walk (100m from the 100m sign..lol).

Our things finally cleared customs. They are being delivered next week. God only knows how they are going to get the furniture up 2 flights of stairs (I'll take pics ;o) ). I cant wait to have my belts, and purses, dishes, and silverware. The cups here are ridiculous. You take 1 drink and have to refill. Plus, they are all glass. I miss my big Tupperware cups...lol.

I dont think we have plans this weekend. I'm sure we'll end up on the Plein on Sunday,like we normally do, but I think it'll probably be dependent on weather.

"Sinterklaas" is coming to town, so we might take Alexa up there to see "Jingle Bells" (as she calls him). I havent decided which tradition we are going to follow yet. I need to read up on Sinterklaas some more.

1 comment:

  1. I looked up Sinterklaas..and this is what I found. Better hurry..November 17th is the day

    Sinterklaas, a Dutch tradition for Christmas
    Top Article 1
    of 1 Write now Article Tools by Eveline Hessels
    In Holland, children couldn't care less about Santa or Father Christmas. They know he's not real but just a man in a fat suit. The man they are waiting for, and who gives them their presents is Sinterklaas, along with Zwarte Piet, his helper.

    Sinterklaas, or Sint Nicolaas, is a bishop dressed in red robes and a red mitre, and he arrives in Holland (and Belgium) on a steamboat from Spain. This year he will arrive on the 17th of November. Kids wait anxiously at the harbor for him to show up. The boat does not only bring Sinterklaas, but also his helpers, Zwarte Pieten, black men and women who are acrobats, jugglers, and hand out sweeties to the children. They are also the ones who keep track of who's been naughty or nice, so parents keep telling their children to be careful because 'Zwarte Piet can see and hear everything!'

    ReplyDelete